Friday, August 20, 2010

Best laid plans of mice and men

I fully intended to go to the gym on Wednesday and do a lower body workout, but a migraine de-railed that plan. :-( So I went yesterday as planned. I've decided that, for the time being, I'm going to do a full-body workout on the weights on Tuesday and Thursday, and concentrate on cardio on Monday and Friday. I'll play it by ear and see how I'm doing in a couple of months. Until Labor Day, I'm planning on making Mon/Fri pool days at our complex pool then switching to the pool at the YMCA after that. Maybe by then I'll feel a bit more confident in wearing a bathing suit in semi-public. :-)

Both yesterday and Tuesday, I walked from the new transit center to the Y, which takes approximately 15 minutes. As it cools down and I get into better shape, that might change, but I don't think the change will be appreciable. I've already babbled about Tuesday, so I'll babble about yesterday now. ;-)

I'd decided after my nap on Wednesday (trying to get rid of the migraine) that I'd switch to full-body on Thursday. So, I went to the Y, weighed myself (up a smidge because of fluid retention) and went to the weight room. I did two sets of 12 reps on each of the machines I'd done Tuesday, and added 2X12 on the hamstring curl and quad extension machines. I tried the rotary calf, but couldn't make it work for me so I settled on 2X12 of calf raises using my body weight (which is plenty enough weight, thanks). I need to figure out how to work my hip adductors/abductors because I'll need them strong for when I start dancing and/or skating again. I'm sore but not in pain today, but only slightly, so I can probably stand to go up on the weight on some of the machines. I frequently underestimate how strong I still am from years of lifting weights, dancing and skating. I'm gonna be one hot mama when I get the fat burned off. ;-) I just hope that the toning and the fact that I'm not yet 40 will help me not have a crazy amount of loose skin after my weight loss. I'll worry about that when the time comes, but am doing what I can to prevent it as much as possible.

I have my IS 520 class in the AM, which should prove interesting. I'm not sure there's enough coffee to get me awake by 9:30AM on a Saturday, but I'll fake it as best I can. :-)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the best laid plans...oh well, the migraine side-lined you, but it sounds like you are more than making up for it. Great plans and good idea to have plans, otherwise they are just dreams, right?

Great to see you are doing well.

H. R. Duby said...

I forget who said it, but one of my favorite quotes is something along the lines of "Goals are just dreams with a deadline". :-) Thanks for the support!