Friday, February 06, 2009

Blargh, Hack, Patooey!

I finally broke down & went to the clinic on Tuesday. I'd called my doctor's office Monday in hopes that I could convince him to simply call me in an antibiotic. Unfortunately, their practice has seen too many cases of pneumonia this year for him to feel entirely comfortable doing that without someone listening to my lungs and taking a chest x-ray if necessary. Because it had been 3 weeks of near-constant misery, I relented and went to the clinic. The PA listened to my lungs and told me they sounded congested but clear (i.e. no pneumonia), but he prescribed an antibiotic that would treat both bacterial infection due to bronchitis (the official dx) AND pneumonia. Of course, this particular antibiotic will probably kill everything except cockroaches, so I should be as good as new soon... assuming, of course, that the antibiotic doesn't kill me. :-) In addition to the antibiotic, I received a steroid injection. That's supposed to help me get my voice back and help shrink any inflammation of my bronchial tubes. Dunno what it's doing to my bronchial tubes, but my voice is still squeaky. It -is- better than it was, so I'll graciously accept my blessings where I can find them.

I'm doing well sticking to WW - even though the steroid has made me very munchy. I hope to see a good loss on Monday, but I'll be happy with any loss - especially if it gets me back into the 260s. :-) Since I was at 269.4 this AM & 268-ish yesterday, I think I may just see the 260s again. I'm okay with that. I'll probably still not be able to exercise next week, so I'm really going to try to get in and de-clutter the office/guestroom like I'd been planning to do before I got sick. That will earn me some activity points but hopefully not be too stressful on my healing lungs the way actual cardio activity would be.

It's supposed to be in the 60s the next few days. I'm hoping that will further facilitate my getting better. Of course, it only will if we don't then suddenly have another cold spell. *sigh* When I go in for my yearly "please renew my prescriptions, thanks" appointment with my doctor, I may see if he'll either examine my lungs/respiratory system to see why the heck I keep getting all these respiratory infections, or refer me to a pulmonologist and let -them- do it. I'm tired of being felled by every respiratory bug that comes by. I've missed entirely too much work over them and I want it to stop. Darn it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon. I'll be thinking of you.